“I totally recommend this trip to anyone who likes adventures with an extra kick of adrenaline!” – Andy B.
1. Experience is not necessary but helps
2. Choose a popular Tour Group like “Altitude Adventures”
3. You can choose between 3 categories of bikes: basic, intermediate & pro
4. The more you pay the safer the experience you get (100 US dollar for the day trip, the pictures are included in the total price)
5. At over 4,700m be prepared to be cold when starting off and wet! All protective clothing supplied is included: helmet, gloves waterproof jacket and pants.
6. Enjoy the first section on the new road all downhill
7. It’s not a race so you can enjoy the views and scenery
8. Enjoy the ride of a lifetime descending over 3000m to the outskirts of the Amazon rainforest.
9. Depending on your riding ability either take it easy or push your limits
10. At the end of the day, you can enjoy the pool at the hotel/restaurant. They give you towels.
If you are a bit nervous, don’t worry, you can go at your own speed. The guides are really friendly and helpful. They give you proper gear and good bikes which make you feel really safe. There are three guides with you: one at the front, one in the middle and one at the back. There is also the van driver who follows everyone down.
I totally recommend this trip to anyone who likes adventures with an extra kick of adrenaline! It was one of the most exciting moments in my South America trip! The views are spectacular and the landscapes incredible especially under the rain!
Amandine: On a scale of 1 to 10, how dangerous really was it to bike on the death road?
Andy: Depending on how confident you are but I would say about 3-5 not too scary!
Amandine: On a scale of 1 to 10, how fascinated was it?
Andy: Fascination level 9/10, just awesome!
Andy B. @rootscosmicdubwarriortraveller
Do you have a story you really want to share with fellow backpacker?
Contact us below! We know we all are busy, but hopefully, we can connect to the platform that’s most convenient for you:
Amandine & Adrian